Resources for Adult Educators
1. Professional Development Training and Workshops
These include institutes and workshops, online courses, research-based publications, study circle facilitator training, among others. Visit the CALPRO Web site (http://www.calpro-online.org) frequently for additional details and news about upcoming activities.
2. Online Adult Education Information
OTAN - Outreach & Technical Assistance Network - houses the largest database of adult education materials in the world. Registration is required, but it’s free. Visit the OTAN Web site at http://www.otan.us to access a variety of materials and other resources for classroom use.
3. Data Collection for Adult Learners
CASAS - The Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System — provides the California Department of Education with a standardized, electronic system for collecting student demographic data and student learning gains. http://www.casas.org
4. Professional Associations for Adult Educators
|ACSA - Association of California School Administrators http://www.acsa.org|
|CAEAA - California Adult Education Administrators’ Association http://www.caeaa.org|
|CCAE - California Council of Adult Educators http://www.ccaestate.org|
|COABE - Commission on Adult Basic Education http://www.coabe.org|
5. Internet Resources
- Cyberstep http://www.cyberstep.org
A partnership of four literacy service innovators addressing the challenge of creating and distributing multimedia learning materials for the hardest-to-serve ABE and ESL adult learners.
- LINCS http://lincs.ed.gov/
The literacy community's gateway to the world of adult education and literacy resources on the Internet. The goal of LINCS is to bring adult literacy-related resources and expertise to a single point of access for users throughout the world.
- Literacy.org http://www.literacy.org
A gateway to electronic resources and tools for the national and international youth and adult literacy communities. This site is jointly sponsored by the International Literacy Institute (ILI) and the National Center on Adult Literacy (NCAL) at the University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education.
- NCSALL http://www.ncsall.net
The National Center for the Study of Adult Learning and Literacy offers numerous publications and teacher training materials, include Study Circle guides on a variety of topics.
- The Virginia Adult Learning Resource Center
This resource center offers useful online guides for ESL and ABE teachers.
Resources for Teaching Adults with Learning Disabilities
- For parents, teachers, and other professionals http://www.ldonline.org
- International Dyslexia Association http://www.interdys.org
- Learning Disabilities Association of California http://www.ldaca.org
- Learning Disability Association of America https://ldaamerica.org/adults/
- Interactive community resources for adults with invisible disabilities http://www.ldpride.net
- Bridges to Practice, A Research-based Guide for Literacy Practitioners Serving Adults with Learning Disabilities. National Adult Literacy and Learning Disabilities Center, Washington, DC 1999.
- Adult Learning Quarterly, KET Enterprise Division, 560 Cooper Drive, Lexington, KY 40502 http://www.ket.org/GED
- Focus on Basics, Connecting Research and Practice, World Education, 44 Farnsworth Street, Boston, MA 02210-1211, FOB@WorldEd.org; The National Center for the Study of Adult Learning and Literacy http://www.ncsall.net/?id=290
- Focus Bulletin, Focus Publications, 1938 Crooked Oak Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601. Reviewed and funded by the Bureau of Adult Basic and Literacy Education, Pennsylvania Department of Education http://www.paadulted.org
- Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, International Reading Association, P.O. Box 8139, Newark, DE 19714. http://www.reading.org
- Who are My Students
- Before You Start Teaching
- When You Start Teaching
- Some Instructional Do’s
- California Model Program Standards for Adult Basic Education
- What Research Says About Teaching Adults to Read
- Assessment and Accountability
- Implications for Adult Educators of the "SCANS" Report
- 10 Easy Things You Can Do to Integrate Workplace Basics (SCANS Competencies) Into Your Classroom
- General Strategies for Organizing and Managing an ABE Class
- Multilevel Class Management Models
- Appendix A: Resources for Adult Educators
- Appendix B: Words of Wisdom
- Appendix C: Personal Learning Plan
- Appendix D: S.T.E.P.S. Interview Guide